Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2018

My One True Hope...

Growing up I was surrounded by a myriad of Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents and close family friends that I called Aunt or Uncle. We were a close knit family that celebrated holidays and family events together. I have 11 Aunts and Uncles and close to 40 first cousins and it was always busy with lots of playmates and partners in crime. I loved it! I was so secure in the knowledge that if I ever needed someone, if I was ever in trouble or needed help with anything, someone would be there. It was a glorious way to grow up and I look back on my childhood with such fond memories.

But...as I've grown older I've seen rifts appear in that once sturdy foundation. Cracks of contention, anger, and most of all a sad unwillingness to forgive over petty differences. My security in my extended family has been shaken because I know that there are many members that I can no longer turn to or count on and it breaks my heart. Those same family members that I knew beyond a shadow of doubt would never turn their backs on me...have done just that. Cousins I was once as close to as siblings, I haven't heard from or talked to in years, and I miss them desperately. I've lost too many family members unexpectedly so I know how very fragile and precious life is and how quickly it can be taken from us, leaving us without opportunity to say, "I'm sorry." or "I forgive you." Let alone, "Goodbye."

But...the one thing I have complete faith in is that my Creator will never turn His back on me. No matter how bad I mess up, how angry I get, He will always be there. He will never leave me or forsake me. This one thought, this one hope, this one piece of knowledge is what gets me through each and ever day. I miss my family as I saw it, experienced it as a child. I miss them dearly and even though we don't speak, I pray for them daily, I pray they are happy and healthy and blessed. I pray most of all that they have or will find salvation in the saving grace of Jesus Christ so that we will meet again on the other side of Heaven's gates when our time comes.

Please, if it is within your power to do so, make it your New Year's Resolution to mend rifts in your family. Make amends, offer forgiveness- but do so carefully- and put the past behind you. The loss of a loved one whom you've had a falling out with is devastating. There is only so much time...don't wait too long because too late comes sooner than you might think.


No comments:

Post a Comment