Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

When did I get so old?

My girls started back to school on August 9. Cera is a junior and my baby, Brittany, is a freshman. They were tiny babies yesterday and today they're nearly grown up. My son, Cameron, started his first real job yesterday. He's working nights at Walmart doing stocking. It's insane to think that I'm old enough to have adult children!

My 20 year wedding anniversary was August 22. TWENTY YEARS!! I remember my one year anniversary- I was a brand new mother to a 5 week old baby. My 5 year anniversary I was 8 months pregnant with my youngest and had a 2 year old and a 4 year old. 10 years was when we got our honeymoon. We left the kids with James' mom and spent 2 weeks on the road driving from Seattle to Kentucky to meet my dear friend Rene. What a journey. Our 16 year anniversary was marked by James learning how to walk again after a tragic motorcycle accident. 17 years saw us packing up and moving cross country from Seattle to Kentucky...and 20 years is marked by the addition of many, many new gray hairs.

I look in the mirror and I see gray hairs...lots of them. So obviously I'm old enough to have adult children and to be married for 2 decades. I was thinking about getting some hair dye and washing that gray right outta my hair. But then, as I was reading my Bible today, I came across a verse that changed my mind.

Proverbs 16:31 Gray hair is a crown of splendor; if it is attained by a righteous life.

So, if I've lived righteously then my gray hairs are a crown of spendor. I know that, like Paul, in Romans 7:18, I long to do what is right but still I sin. Apart from God I can do nothing good or righteous. I can try all day long to be 'good' but I fail all day long because it is not in me to be good.

However, with God by my side, in my heart, renewing my mind with purity and holiness, HE can do good things through me. I am the glove, He is the hand. So my gray hairs are God's. If He wants them there, then they'll stay there as a reminder to me each time I look in the mirror that God is doing a great work in me, through me.


Do you color your grays?

No comments:

Post a Comment