Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

We Have Hope!

I'm reading a book, one I've read a dozen times at least. It's the first book in an amazing trilogy by Francine Rivers called A Voice in the Wind and on page 13 there is a passage that struck me and I wanted to share. A brother and sister in a desperate situation are having a conversation and the passage reads:

"Is this the will of God, Mark?"

"Father said it is not God's will that any should suffer."

"Then why must we?"

"We bear the consequences for what we have done to ourselves, and for the sin that rules this world. Jesus forgave the thief, but he didn't take him down off the cross." He pushed his hand back through his hair. "I'm not wise like Father. I haven't any answers to why, but I know there is hope."

"What hope, Mark? What hope is there?"

"God always leaves a remnant."

Jesus forgave the thief who hung beside Him on the cross, but He didn't take him off the cross. The thief was made to suffer the consequences of his actions but Jesus forgave him and assured him of his place in Heaven.

We, as children of God, are also forgiven but we, too, must endure our own consequences for our sin. We are assured of our place in Heaven but while we live in this sinful world we will suffer and many times we suffer for the sinful actions of others even if we didn't participate or were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But we have hope! Even through the trials and suffering we experience we have Jesus by our side. He never said it would be easy, but He promised we would never have to go it alone. What a beautiful promise!

And to end this blog post, I'm going to share some song lyrics from one of my very favorite songs by an amazing artist, Ginny Owens. This song is called "If You Want Me To"

The pathway is broken
And The signs are unclear
And I don't know the reason why You brought me here
But just because You love me the way that You do
I'm gonna walk through the valley
If You want me to

Chorus:
Cause I'm not who I was
When I took my first step
And I'm clinging to the promise You're not through with me yet
so if all of these trials bring me closer to you
Then I will walk through the fire
If You want me to

It may not be the way I would have chosen
When you lead me through a world that's not my home
But You never said it would be easy
You only said I'd never go alone

So when the whole world turns against me
And I'm all by myself
And I can't hear You answer my cries for help
I'll remember the suffering that Your love put You through
And I will walk through the darkness
If You want me to

Cuz when I cross over Jordan
Gonna sing, gonna shout,
Gonna look into Your eyes and see You never let me down
So take me on the pathway that leads me home to You
And I will walk though the valley
If You want me to

Yes, I will walk through the valley
If You want me to

Here is a link to a You Tube video of the song if you care to listen. She has such a beautiful voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVYRc7LtvUA

1 comment: