After some quick research I found that there are a lot of laws that Congress passes that they don't have to follow. Why are they passing laws that they are exempt from? If these laws are so good for the people, why are they above the law? They are citizens of this country the same as you and me but they don't have to follow the same laws we do! That doesn't sit well with me. So I've started a petition at the White House website to try and end this horrible double standard. I'll post the link below after the partial list of laws that Congress has exempted themselves from:
* The Freedom of Information Act.
* Investigatory subpoenas to obtain information for safety and health probes.
* Protections against retaliation for whistleblowers.
* Having to post notices of worker rights in offices.
* Prosecution for retaliating against employees who report safety and health hazards.
* Having to train employees about workplace rights and legal remedies.
* Record-keeping requirements for workplace injuries and illnesses.
In 1995, Congress did pass the Congressional Accountability Act, which applied these provisions to Congress:
* The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967.
* The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
* Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
* The Employee Polygraph Protection Act of 1988.
* The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938.
* The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.
* The Federal Service Labor-Management Relations Statute that allows collective bargaining by some federal workers.
* Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970.
* The Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
* Veterans' Employment and Re-employment Rights Act of 1994
* The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act of 1989, which requires employers to provide notice 60 days in advance of covered plant closings and covered mass layoffs.
* Provisions of the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act, which gives veterans a preference for federal jobs.
Please take a few minutes to sign these petitions. Let's stand up and take our nation back!