Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Friends are such a treasure

I met a very dear friend for coffee in Paducah yesterday and we sat and talked for well over three hours. I have some serious trust issues so making friends is hard for me. Letting people close is very hard for me but since moving here to Kentucky I've made some amazing friends. People I know I can count on no matter what. People who love and accept me for me, warts and all. I've never had that before and at times it's overwhelming.

As I drove the 25 miles home I cried nearly the whole way because my heart felt so full. So very full of God's blessings. He has opened doors for me here that I would never have imagined. I've had so many opportunities to serve Him over the years but fear has held me back. I know that's horrible to admit but I'm trying to be real here. Having been abused as a child has left me with scars, deep scars, and the above mentioned trust issues that have been really hard to overcome. And lets face it, talking to people about Jesus, offering our service, requires some trust to be offered by both parties and it's an area with which I've really struggled.

But having people welcome and accept me so openly and freely here in Kentucky has begun to finally heal those wounds from so long ago. Volunteering at church, being a part of my community, and being a friend to those who have befriended me has become almost easy and has blessed me beyond measure. There is nothing like hugging a friend and holding nothing back and I wish with all my heart that I'd discovered this gift long before now because I can't even begin to imagine how much more joy filled my life would have been before now.

But now that I have this treasure, I want to share it with the world. I want to be the best friend I can be to anyone who needs a friend.


Romans 12:10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Out do one another in showing honor.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! While reading this I couldn't help but read me?! How can this be? God and His wonderful plans! You my dear, were meant to be apart of my life and you apart of mine! Thanks for sharing your warts with us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Hollie! You can have as many of my 'warts' as you want :D Jesus is revealing Himself to me in such amazing ways lately and I'm so blessed, so very blessed. Yay for friends!

    ReplyDelete